|POWER Lehigh Valley - working group to
End Mass Incarceration
(a committee affiliated with POWER Lehigh Valley and POWER Interfaith )
Pennsylvanians Organized to Witness, Empower, and Rebuild: Fighting for racial and economic justice in the Lehigh Valley
Our Vision is to become a culture in which justice is equated with humanitarian values and not punishment.
Our meetings are usually on 1st and 3rd Thursdays each month, 7:00-8:30pm by Zoom, but check our calendar for updates or exceptions, or register to get on our email list, or contact us for further information.
is to end mass incarceration and excessive punishment in Pennsylvania, and restore community for our incarcerated and returning citizens, by:
- Reducing the use of jails as the only recourse for offenders
- Bringing dignity to life behind bars
- Changing minds through education and advocacy
- Building political will for criminal justice reform
Lehigh Valley - It's Time to End Mass Incarceration
There are currently many organizations in the Lehigh Valley and across Pennsylvania that are working on various aspects of criminal justice and mass incarceration. We do our best work when we plan and work together!
- Watch the WFMZ Business Matters show "What's Fair in Prison Reform" with District Attorney Jim Martin, Hasshan Batts, Ed Angelo, and Ed Sweeny which aired on Jan. 28, 2019. It is now posted here.
- Blueprint for Justice -- the ACLU Smart Justice program has created a state-by-state report showing how each state can cut the number of people behind bars in half. The Blueprint for Pennsylvania is posted here.
- Pennsylvania Department of Corrections has announced Changes in PA Prison Policies for Mail, Books, and Visitors. Read more about the new policies here
Last Updated: 12/13/2022
Created: January 18, 2018